As much as we care for our homes and furnaces, things can still go terribly wrong. An accidental fire or a dangerous leak can ensue without homeowners ever knowing what’s happening. Arguably, the most devastating of these phenomena is carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Know the Signs
Since CO is an odorless gas that you can’t see, it’s imperative that you know how to tell if you’re being silently poisoned. You can tell you’re dealing with a CO leak if you start to experience the following symptoms:
- Chest pains
- Loss of consciousness
As you can see, this is nothing to scoff at: carbon monoxide is dangerous. This is especially true for unborn babies, infants, people who are asleep, the intoxicated, and people suffering from major illnesses. Everyone in these categories is even more at risk of being poisoned by carbon monoxide.
In fact, more than 400 Americans die from CO poisoning each year while nearly 25,000 a year are hospitalized. (*These facts are courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)*).
Preventing CO Poisoning
As dangerous as all this sounds, you can actually prevent CO poisoning with relative ease. If you follow the next three steps, you can protect yourself and your family from unnecessary harm.
- Check out our blog How To Prevent Co Poisoning for need-to-know tips.
- Invest in a carbon monoxide detector. Let this device do the work your senses cannot.
- Schedule an HVAC inspection to make sure that your furnace is in proper working order.
To schedule an appointment, just call JMAC Heating & Air at 702.227.5622 today.