If your toilet overflows or a pipe bursts, your home is at risk of getting water damage. If the water damage is not fixed in a timely manner, your house could develop mold. It is important that homeowners are aware of water damage in their home to ensure they take the necessary steps to prevent the problem from getting worse.
Mold can reproduce quickly and likes to take residence in places with moisture. The spores spread effortlessly through the air and in the right conditions, will grow more mold. If mold starts growing in your home, you are at risk of developing significant health problems. The longer mold has been in your home, the greater the risk of illness and the harder it is to clean up. As soon as the leak is under control, don’t waste any time getting your house dried and cleaned.
Every person is affected by mold differently, but it is unsafe for everyone. Some people might be allergic and suffer an asthma attack when around mold. Certain types of mold produce mycotoxins, which in extreme cases of exposure could be fatal. Here are some tips for preventing mold from ever growing in your house.
Preventing mold growth
You will need to get rid of the wet carpet immediately. The easiest and sure fire way to prevent mold growth is to discard it. Unless only a small area of the carpet was affected by the water, there is no way it can be salvaged.
Use non-phosphate detergents to clean the area. Mold is attracted to phosphate residue, so avoid it in case there are spores of mold in your home. Disinfecting the area with ammonia or vinegar should kill any mold that planted itself in your home. If any surfaces were flooded with sewage, it definitely needs to be disinfected right away.
Do whatever you need to do to dry subfloors or walls in your home, including blasting the air conditioner or heater, using extra fans or busting out the dehumidifier. Every area of your home needs to be dried as quickly as possible.
Using a moisture detector, test the content of studs before replacing insulation. The wood should be below 20 percent before you close the wall, any higher and you will be at risk of developing mold. Avoid using vinyl wallpaper, which could prevent your house from drying properly inside.
Wear protective gloves and a mask, as breathing in spores is not good for your health. It is also smart to wear goggles to prevent any mold from getting in your eyes. Isolate the area of the house you are cleaning and keep your central air turned off so the mold spores won’t travel to other rooms. Tape plastic over the vents in the room so there is no chance of mold going out.
All the moldy material you remove from the room should be put in plastic bags and immediately taken to a dumpster. Clean the floors with a strong disinfectant, and after all the mold is removed air out the room, keep an eye out for a re-occurrence of mold for up to three days after you cleaned.
The best way to prevent mold from intruding your home is to ensure you have a solid plumbing system that won’t burst. The experts at JMAC Plumbing & Air Conditioning have over 30 years of experience and are dedicated to provide quality service. For more information about plumbing services in Las Vegas, contact 702.227.5622.