Video – What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, odorless, tasteless gas. The incomplete combustion of carbon or the incomplete burning of natural gas and other carbon-containing substances form this dangerous gas. Special gasses with odors are often mixed with it giving it a “smell”. Carbon monoxide can result from the burning of any of these:  gasoline, kerosene, oil, propane, coal, wood, and other things. It is also a byproduct of an internal combustion engine.

The CDC estimates that 400 people per year die of carbon monoxide poisoning, 20,000 more visit the emergency room, and 4,000 people are hospitalized.

If your home does not have a carbon monoxide detector, it is something you should seriously consider for the safety of you and  your loved ones. Therefore, installing a battery-operated detector is a simple job that could save lives. In fact, installing a detector is the best way to prevent poisoning in your home.

The CDC recommends that you have your gas furnace/HVAC system inspected at least once a year. JMAC Plumbing and Air Conditioning can help with that! Give our professionals a call at 702-227-5622 to ensure your system is in good working order with no leak potential.

As a resource, here’s a safety sheet you can print and put up in your home or business:

Safety Information